At Wildly Fit we love our holidays, including Thanksgiving. That being said, Thanksgiving is one of the unhealthiest meals of the year. We want you to enjoy the holiday and stay healthy and informed. The average American consumes 3000-3500 calories during Thanksgiving dinner.
This year we encourage you to be thankful for your good health and try a healthier approach to the holiday feast with these 5 tips to healthier holiday eating.
1. Drink Water – Before loading your plate have an 8oz glass of water. It will help you feel fuller and therefore you will load less onto your plate. Remember you should be drinking 50% of your body weight in water per day. (Ex. 150 pound person = 75 oz per day).
2. Don’t Save Room – Not eating earlier through the day causes you to eat way more than necessary at dinner. Be sure to eat a normal and healthy breakfast and dinner.
3. Portion Control – Skip the seconds, leftovers are much better the next day. When loading your plate take reasonable portions of the foods you’ve been waiting all year for.
4. Be Active – Go for a walk after dinner. Most likely, others will join you and everyone will feel better knowing they burned a few calories and they are spending quality time with loved ones.
5. Lighten Up – Make a dish to share that makes your recipe a bit healthier. Skip the skin, choose white over dark meat. Use Fat Free chicken broth to baste the turkey and to make gravy. Reduce sugar, butter, and oil wherever you can.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving and have a happy and healthy holiday from the team at Wildly Fit!